Douglas J. Gilbert
Nature of Practice:
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Counseling
- Patent Prosecution
- Doug Gilbert specializes in patent litigation and counseling.
- American Intellectual Property Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
Douglas J. Gilbert is a partner and has been with the firm since 2014. He has over 25 years of experience litigating intellectual property matters for leading chemical, pharmaceutical, consumer product, medical device, internet and computer industry clients.
He has handled matters relating to pharmaceutical and biotechnology products, medical instruments, computer software, computer hardware (including video displays and CD and DVD drives), contact lenses, security systems, automobile technology, air and water pollution control technology, metallurgy, batteries, and polymer products and processes, including catalysts.
Mr. Gilbert has litigated intellectual property cases in the United States District Courts and Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Section 337 proceedings at the United States International Trade Commission, and patent interferences and reexaminations at the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He has also negotiated license agreements and has experience with product patent clearances and opinions on patent infringement, validity and enforceability issues.
Mr. Gilbert has been selected for inclusion in SuperLawyers 2014 -2016 (New York Metro Region) and Euromoney’s 2013 Guide to the World’s Leading Patent Practitioners.
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York, 1982
- US District Courts, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Co-author, “Patent Litigation in the Eastern District of Texas: Is The Party Over?,” IPLaw 360, Jan.13, 2009.
- “Presidential Review” and “After The Stay,” DeMystifying ITC Proceedings, IPO Seminar, July 10, 2006.
- “Trends at the Federal Circuit,” A Continuing Legal Education Program on Intellectual Property, New York Intellectual Property Law Association, March 23, 1998
- Contributor, “Jury Instructions and Verdict Forms: How to Submit Your Case,” Patent and Technology Litigation, Insight Information Conference, February 23-24, 1998
- Co-author, “The Use of Scientific and Technical Evidence in Formal Judicial Proceedings Conference Background Paper,” Science, Technology and Judicial Decision-Making, An Exploratory Discussion, National Science Foundation (FSF/SES-81004) (1981).
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S. Chem Eng, B.S. Pol. Sci, 1978
- New York University School of Law, 1981