Theodore J. Pierson
Theodore J. Pierson joined Abelman Frayne & Schwab in 2008 as an associate in the patent department. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Pierson was an associate at a New Jersey law firm practicing in all areas of intellectual property prosecution and litigation.
Mr. Pierson largely devotes his practice to preparing and prosecuting patent applications in various fields of technology, with an emphasis in the mechanical arts and medical devices, including power tools, fitness equipment, catheters, ports, and tissue ablation devices. His experience includes all phases of domestic and foreign patent prosecution (including PCT prosecution).
Mr. Pierson has intellectual property litigation experience including discovery, legal research, and motion practice. He has represented clients in the federal courts within New Jersey. He has also been admitted to represent clients pro hac vice in courts located in other states, including federal courts in Virginia and Connecticut.
Mr. Pierson has prepared opinions of counsel for a variety of patent matters concerning infringement, validity, and patentability. He also has experience in performing due diligence on intellectual property portfolios for mergers and acquisitions.
- Mr. Pierson has built a strong record of wins when representing clients in patent appeals to the USPTO Board of Patent Appeals, to achieve reversal of the Examiner’s rejections.
Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey, 2003,
- New York, 2004,
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2005.
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association (NYIPLA)
- Mr. Pierson specializes in patent prosecution and related matters with an emphasis in the mechanical arts and medical devices.
- Johns Hopkins University, B.S. Biomedical Engineering, 2000
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2003