United States and International Trademarks
- The Firm is engaged in every aspect of a global trademark practice, including advising and consulting, searching trademarks to determine their availability, filing and prosecuting trademark applications, managing worldwide trademark portfolios, recording trademark registrations with customs authorities, and handling contested oppositions, cancellation actions, and litigations. The Firm handles matters in approximately one hundred and seventy jurisdictions worldwide, and has been retained for litigation in the United States and throughout the world.
- The Firm provides a watch service which monitors official trademark gazettes, as well as lists of trademark applications filed throughout the world to ensure that our clients’ trademarks have not been misappropriated by third parties, and if so, to allow appropriate and timely action to be taken. This service is also provided to trademark firms that do not have this capability. Unlike most of our competitors, we have the in-house ability to conduct in-depth trademark searches in more than 100 countries.
United States and International Patents
- The Firm is engaged in all aspects of a global patent practice including providing patentability searches and opinions, the preparation, filing and prosecution of patent applications, as well as proceedings under AIA (Inter Partes Review, Covered Business Method Review and Post-Grant Review), interference proceedings and litigation in United States Federal Courts, the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the International Trade Commission, and throughout the world. Our attorneys have experience in the chemical, biological, mechanical, pharmaceutical, electrical, electronic, textile, automotive, and computer arts.
United States and International Copyrights
- Our copyright practice involves registering and enforcing copyrights in the United States and abroad, as well as counseling clients on a wide range of issues such as work for hire, fair use, international copyright protection, renewal and termination of rights, and recording registrations with customs authorities. The Firm has numerous clients in the new media, publishing, communications and entertainment fields for whom we frequently provide advice on copyright and related issues. We also have extensive experience drafting and negotiating contracts involving copyrighted works such as software licenses, work for hire agreements, publishing agreements, assignments, licenses and distribution agreements.
Litigation and Enforcement
- The Firm has a strong demonstrated record of achieving successful results for our clients in litigation involving all aspects of our practice including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, unfair competition and false adverting. Our attorneys have extensive experience in the Federal and State courts, the International Trade Commission, in contested administrative proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the Patent Office Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences (now that Patent Trial and Appeal Board), and under the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy for domain names.
- The Firm also has extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution proceedings such as arbitrations and mediations. Many of our attorneys have served as arbitrators and mediators. This experience provides them with a unique perspective that allows them to advise clients concerning the risks and potential benefits of proceeding with arbitration or meditation, and to formulate and execute strategies to achieve successful results.
AFS Startup Incubator Program
- AFS has a strong commitment to supporting entrepreneurs, innovators, and young companies who are looking to start and grow new tech businesses. We understand the extraordinary passion they have as well as their unique legal needs.
- At AFS we also understand that, although high quality legal services are essential to a startup, their cost can be prohibitively expensive. As a result, young startups often make costly mistakes that could have been avoided with thoughtful counseling. To address this problem AFS created its “Startup Incubator Program” to provide legal assistance to promising tech entrepreneurs and innovators at significantly reduced or deferred rates. From the earliest stages of your business onward our Startup Incubator Program provides practical and cost-effective advice and counseling on intellectual property development and protection, licensing and business structuring.
- If you would like to learn more about the AFS Startup Incubator Program contact Michael Aschen at email@example.com.
Licensing and Contracts
- The Firm represents both licensors and licensees of copyright, patent, trademark, and know-how rights in licensing and franchising transactions worldwide. We have experience negotiating, drafting, and recording licenses and distribution agreements. In addition, our staff has obtained approvals of agreements from “transfer of technology agencies” throughout the world. Our licensing group also has extensive experience negotiating and preparing general, distribution, and entertainment industry contracts.
Acquisitions, Mergers and Changes in Ownership
- The Firm has been retained as intellectual property counsel in corporate mergers and acquisitions in the United States and throughout the world. Our experience includes the performance of the requisite due diligence, and negotiating and drafting purchase and sale documents, associated licenses, assignments and other documents to record changes of ownership.
Information Technology, The Internet and New Media
- The Firm represents companies active in the Internet, new media, computer technology, and information services. In addition to counseling, we litigate claims related to copyright infringements, framing and linking, trademarks, domain names, patents, defamation and libel, invasion of privacy, free speech, e-mail, and trade secret misappropriation. The Firm has also negotiated agreements related to transactions involving information technology, the Internet and new media.
Entertainment and Media Law
- The Firm represents a number of media companies, including cable companies, television networks, magazines, and book publishers. This area of our practice extends beyond ordinary copyright matters to advising and litigating cases involving libel and slander, right of privacy and publicity, first amendment law, entertainment law, television and film production contracts, artists’ and designers’ rights, and related issues.
Beverage Alcohol, Dietary Supplement and Food Laws
- The Firm counsels clients in the beverage, alcohol, and dietary supplement and food industries concerning a wide variety of regulatory and related issues. We advise our clients concerning Federal, state, local and international regulatory compliance, permits, licenses, domestic and international distribution agreements, domestic and international label compliance, Federal alcohol label approval and state brand registrations, advertising compliance, trade practices, customs and international trade matters and intellectual property issues specific to these industries.
Technology and Resources
- The Firm maintains a sophisticated proprietary computer database on its servers to maintain the trademark, patent, copyright and domain name records of our clients, as well as other law firms. These records are available to our clients on demand through either web-based access or using software installed on an in-house network.
- Our litigation group utilizes state-of-the-art case management and e-discovery software to efficiently manage all aspects of complex litigations.
Foreign Law Firms
- The Firm has longstanding relationships with law firms throughout the world and, when necessary, utilizes their services to assist our clients in various legal matters.
The foregoing is merely an outline of the services we provide to our clients. We would be pleased to meet with you to discuss our capabilities in further detail. For additional information concerning our attorneys, please visit the “Attorneys” link.